Re: [ARSCLIST] Early stereo LPs: subject to mononuclearosis?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
> steven c wrote:
>
> > The other problem with bass (in indoor sound systems) is this! Since
> > the speed of sound is 1100 feet per second (close enough for
> > government work, as we used to say in the USAF) then a 55Hz note
> > has a sonic (not electric) wave length of 20 feet. Obviously,
> > normal-sized rooms will have all sorts of odd cancellations and
> > reinforcements from reflected sound waves...meaning that certain
> > bass notes will either be INaudible or all TOO audible depending
> > on where you are positioned in the room!
>
> That depends on how you define a "room". <G>
>
> Seriously, when I had my 'media room' built, I left one wall open,
> interrupted by a fireplace between the new space and the old. Yes, there
> are standing waves in spite of that (and despite a sloping ceiling), but
> they are not nearly as strong as they would be in a closed box.
>
> It helps that two walls are LPs and LDs, that the primary listening area
> is about a third of the way from the rear wall, and other factors. The
> point is that if you have control of such matters, you can time most of
> the standing waves most of the time.

Well, I've played music (electrically amplified blues) in a "beer joint"
that was acoustically VERY live...only non-reflective items in it were
the listeners! At times, I couldn't hear much from the bassist...but I
could move a few feet and hear MAINLY the bassist! Made setting up the
PA a bit of a task...