Re: [ARSCLIST] Early stereo LPs: subject to mononuclearosis?

steven c wrote:

The other problem with bass (in indoor sound systems) is this! Since
the speed of sound is 1100 feet per second (close enough for
government work, as we used to say in the USAF) then a 55Hz note
has a sonic (not electric) wave length of 20 feet. Obviously,
normal-sized rooms will have all sorts of odd cancellations and
reinforcements from reflected sound waves...meaning that certain
bass notes will either be INaudible or all TOO audible depending
on where you are positioned in the room!

That depends on how you define a "room". <G>

Seriously, when I had my 'media room' built, I left one wall open, interrupted by a fireplace between the new space and the old. Yes, there are standing waves in spite of that (and despite a sloping ceiling), but they are not nearly as strong as they would be in a closed box.

It helps that two walls are LPs and LDs, that the primary listening area is about a third of the way from the rear wall, and other factors. The point is that if you have control of such matters, you can time most of the standing waves most of the time.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/