Re: [ARSCLIST] Cataloguing again--more OCLC, AACR2 bashing

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Roger and Allison Kulp wrote:

> Either that,or alphabetize them according to label,and then list them numerically
according to the label's catalogue number.
>    And there's your system.

Some collections do file by manufacturer number, however, as a collection
grows, it can require huge shifting projects. Many collections use an
accession number for placing items on the shelf. While there are possibly
some collections that try to classify recordings (assigning call numbers),
I doubt this practice is still considered viable by many collections.

The arrangement of recordings on the shelf isn't my major concern
(frustration). For me, the problems reside in description and cataloging
and the construct used for the preparation of the discographic record.

I wonder if Google has any interest in an audio digitization project?

Karl