Re: [ARSCLIST] Cables- was Can 78s sound better than LPs?

Richard L. Hess wrote:
At 11:06 PM 8/28/2006, Mike Richter wrote:

Jerome Hartke wrote:

Cable impedance only becomes significant if their length approaches a tenth
wavelength or more. I doubt that this happens at audio frequencies unless
the speakers are in another state.
Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.

I rarely disagree with Jerry, but here I must. 1 KHz has a wavelength of about twelve inches. An unstopped 30-foot organ pipe produces a 32 Hz fundamental. And so on.

A tenth of a wavelength is very much realized even in Rhode Island <G>. Cable resistance is important in almost any setup, but complex components are not.

Ummmm, Mike, I think you're thinking acoustic waves vs. electrical waves.

I was, indeed, thinking of acoustic waves. I'm afraid that I had gotten tied up in the knots on this thread.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/