Re: [ARSCLIST] Which Stylus Size for 78's (if you could have only one) ?

I'll second this opinion. 2.5 mil elliptical is something as ideal, universal stylus. Also, for more damaged records I will use 2.7 truncated conical - it works like a charm.

Milan

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lennick" <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 5:53 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Which Stylus Size for 78's (if you could have only one) ?

DSL FODA01 wrote:

My question is, if you could have only one sylus for just starting out, what size and shape would you choose, and why? What about cartridge? I have heard the Stanton 500 is a good one - any others currently manufactured?

For non-restoration purposes (and it's not bad as a restoration tool either) my first choice would be one that is impossible to obtain except second-hand, the Shure SS-78E stylus in the SC 35 cartridge. Takes a heavier tracking force than the Stantons, holds up well, can play discs that haven't been given a thorough bath on a professional unit like the
Monks. It's a 2.5 mil elliptical stylus. You need smaller tips for some grooves and wider ones for others, once you get into that area, but this one has been a good all-purpose stylus since the early 70s. DON'T buy the after-market version, which is pretty terrible (fits too loosely in the cartridge, doesn't take the tracking force).

As to styli that are actually still being made and marketed (i.e. back to the real world), I'll let others comment.

dl