Re: [ARSCLIST] Can 78s sound better than LPs?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> And of course there's the whole thing that post-nuclear-holocaust
> ape-man may be able to fashion a Flinstones-like way to play back the
boxes of 78's found in the
> wreckage of "Collectorville" whereas those mysterious shiny disks and
strange square things that
> contain smaller shiny disks when broken open with a rock don't seem to do
anything or make any
> sounds.

Well, all our future "Alley Oop" (or, more likely, the intelligent beings
that evolve from the mutant radioactive cockroaches) need do is to run a
fingernail (or one of its antennae) along a groove. This will produce
vibrations which can be heard (by eared species, or otherwise sensed by
the insectoids) and which will suggest the disc contains information!

Since CD's, DVD's and magnetic drives/tapes DON'T visibly contain data...
and, in fact, require complicated mechanisms to access the data they
contain without appearing to...it is unlikely our future "user" will
EVER figure out what to do with them! They do look kinda purty in
the light, though...