To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2006 3:46 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Can 78s sound better than LPs?

On 25/08/06, Tom Fine wrote:

I think it was a greater feat of great engineering to squeeze
fantastic sound out of ANY grooved medium, particularly 78's, than to
put out a clearly-audible recording using modern means. Alas, the
skill set has slipped so badly that many modern recordings are
horrible. Think of a band, producer and engineer working with the
requirement of live takes, a set time limit imposed by the disk
medium, very primative recording equipment (maybe 3 or 4 ribbon mics,
a mixer with no EQ and limited patching) and the known fact that the
result will lose 2 or 3 generations of quality by the time it gets
into the consumer's hand. That's the 78 era. Now think of all the
luxury of non-linear time, overdubs, computer-screen editing and tools
like pitch correction and it's very depressing how bad the end product
is in most cases today. And I'm not even talking about the basic lack
of musical talent.

Why would a 78 lose three or four generations of quality? The production disc is a directly moulded copy of the original, without going through a tape generation.

All that is wrong is the noise in the physical shellac material. (Plus any damage
from playing - but that applies to LPs too.)

I remember there were some audiophile "direct cut" LPs in the 70s, too.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx