Re: [ARSCLIST] Not using headphones

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Bradley" <db65@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >I've been doing some "vintage" projects using pre-'60s production
> >techniques although employing 24 bit digital recording. The most
> >interesting thing I've learned is that when you take away the
> >headphones, stage monitors, etc.
> >
> >1. Most people tend to sing in tune
>
> I noticed years ago that when I was removing headphones while the
> program was still playing that there was a dopler-like shift in
> pitch. The shift stayed in place, though, even when I held the
> headphones still. It seemed that the distance affected the pitch, not
> the motion of moving them away. I have to wonder if there is
> something involved on a smaller scale that makes the sound slightly
> higher in pitch when it's closer to the ears. That might explain why
> people would sing not in tune when using headphones....
>
> Just a babbling random thought....

In fact, I've often noticed a change in "heard" pitch (as opposed
to the actual pitch of the performance) when I plug one or both
ears (usually with my fingers)! I have no idea WHY this happens...
I first discovered it when I tried to play harmonica along with
a record, and thought I'd be able to hear my harmonica better
if I plugged on ear! Result: the pitch of the harmonica (heard
via bone conduction) didn't change...the pitch of the recording
(heard via the un-plugged ear) did!

One never knows, do one...