Re: [ARSCLIST] Can 78s sound better than LPs?

Tom Fine wrote:
>...Nowadays, not only is the latest "pop tart's" reed-thin vocal
>track processed thru a
>digi-echo, she also gets a thickening/doubling treatment and, since she likely
>can't sing in tune,
>digital pitch correction.

I've been doing some "vintage" projects using pre-'60s production techniques although employing 24 bit digital recording. The most interesting thing I've learned is that when you take away the headphones, stage monitors, etc.

1. Most people tend to sing in tune

2. The less compression and eq you use, the less turns out to be needed in order to create an acceptable finished product.

Technology interacts with performance and this seems mostly to be in a negative fashion! The highlight of our project came when the A&R person's girlfriend, an aspiring diva, showed up while we were recording a really high profile artist. She was utterly distressed to find we were recording without headphones or a click track. "It JUST isn't done..."

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051    http://www.hyperback.com