Re: [ARSCLIST] Podcasting--explained a bit...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I dunno about this. I hear where you're coming from, but I'm not sure a
junky rendition of something
> is what's best to leave for posterity.
<large snip>
> Bottom line, if I were in charge of this (which I'm
> not sure anyone is, which might be the biggest problem), I'd go for less
quantity and more quality.

Well, what we OUGHT to have is an archive of every extant 78rpm phonorecord
(or, possibly, every extant sound recording of any sort) in the form of
44.1bps
CD-quality two-channel .WAV files!

However, in the meantime what we have so far is "what the little boy shot
at"
(old Waynesvillian expression for SFA...or "nothing!"...)!

And...note that the "perfect conversion" will start, in about 90% of the
cases,
with originals that have a limited audio bandwidth (VERY limited if
acoustic!).

So...it may be imperative that we create SOME sort of digital-audio archive
of such 78's as can be easily accessed...before the last of the 78-aware
generation departs for that "great listening room in the sky" and the next
generation of "sonophiles" (to mix languages) take the attitude of "Why
should we bother to save that old sh...ellac?!"

Imagine a world (and pop culture is effectively there already...) in which
the standard assumption is that popular music began c.1955, when rock'n'roll
first graced the airwaves (with a few possible nods toward blues, for the
sake of political correctness...)