Re: [ARSCLIST] Transfer responsibility- was Podcasting--explained a bit...

Steven Smolian wrote:
There is an ethical issue. I believe the transferer has an obligation to make the performer(s) sound as well as they possibly can. They do the best they can when they make that record. This will be the first encounter by many with the names on that label. Their reputation will be affected by the how well executed the copying work has been.

Get the playing speed right, find the best equalization and, more broadly, give the new hearer as good a product as possible on which to make his judgement, a strong, if implied, part of the listening process. It's only fair to those unable to protect the quality of their art.

I'm sorry, but your standard is set impossibly high. After all, in few commercial recordings is there attention to fidelity of the performance. Engineers routinely correct little errors - like flatting a note - and enhance the sound in other ways to improve on nature or to satisfy the performer's image of himself/herself.

I suggest that the objective is to provide a *fair* representation of whatever passes for reality. In classical material of the sort of interest to me, even getting the playing speed right is a matter of debate approaching fisticuffs. "De Lucia must have sung it at score pitch"; "Nonsense - he sang it a full tone flat".

It happens. There is a company today issuing "78-rpm" recordings on vinyl from original metal parts. A committee recommends playback parameters including stylus dimensions and playback speed. Often, they disagree and a minority report on speed is published with the consensus. Equalization would be even more provocative if they touched on that matter.

Sometimes, the problem is finding truth and the solution is to seek something less.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/