Re: [ARSCLIST] Transfer responsibility- was Podcasting--explained a bit...

Mike Richter wrote:
>I'm sorry, but your standard is set impossibly high. After all, in few commercial recordings is there attention to fidelity of the performance. Engineers routinely correct little errors - like flatting a note - and enhance the sound in other ways to improve on nature or to satisfy the performer's image of himself/herself.

My wife and I once got to rehearse and sing in an orchestra/choir performance conducted by Andre Kostelanetz.  Our choir director told us that Kostelanetz said he had a problem listening to LP recordings, because after the engineers spliced all the takes together, the work was 'too perfect'.  No real orchestra could play that well.

   Ron Fial