Re: [ARSCLIST] Backward turntables?

on 8/22/06 4:28 PM US/Central, Roger and Allison Kulp at
thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> So would I.I have heard of playing stampers,and pressing plates,with a sort of
> upside down stylus,but have never actually seen such equipment.

I haven't seen them up close and personal either, i.e. with a magnifier.
They are called "biradial" styli.

I used one today for some 78rpm Mary Lou Williams material on negative metal
parts.

The trick is to mount the ridge (the inverse of a groove) with the forked
needle, and to make sure the stylus stays on while the audio is played in
reverse. It takes a few tries to get the stylus mounted on the ridge.

I used an SP-15 for this, and reversed the sound file later.

---
Parker Dinkins
MasterDigital Corporation
CD Mastering + Audio Restoration