Re: [ARSCLIST] Backward turntables?

<SNIP>
> And I have never located a piece of  digital audio gear that
> was more accurate (or anywhere near as accurate) than a human
> ear in real time.
<SNIP>

Actually, I can appreciate what you are trying to say, but without any
qualifiers/limiters, that statement is just not accurate...

Examples:
Pitch/frequency:
The human ear can only tell pitch within 0.5% at around 2,000 Hz - that is
around a 10 Hz deviation.  This gets worse at lower frequencies...
Obviously, we have real-time frequency counters that are more accurate.

Worse, Hass Effects, combination (tartini) tones and other psycho-acoustics
principles can fool the ear into not hearing what is there, or hearing what
is not.  I daresay digital meters are not likely to be fooled this way.

Relative to digital, we have a limited frequency range of hearing - this is
commonly known.

Amplitude:
Our ears are non-linear in nature.  They can detect a minimum change in
level in the order of 0.2 - 0.4 db within our *sensitive* range.  Those that
think they can hear 0.1 db, need to get a reality check at their local
audiologist! ;-D

We have plenty of digital devices that can measure and manipulate audio
amplitude in much smaller increments.

Anyway, I appreciate what you are trying to say when it comes to the
"perception and analysis" of audio and in particular complex patterns like
music.  The human ear is a remarkable instrument in itself... It's just too
bad it goes out of calibration when someone slams the door behind you!

Cheers!

Rob