[ARSCLIST] Use care with new-to-you tape machines

I am hearing more and more stories about (and fixing some of the tapes from) tape machines chewing original master tapes.

I've had a rash of micro-cassettes recently. Prior to that there were some DA-88 tapes and some standard cassette tapes.

Often, it seems people will acquire a new machine and then not use an old tape to test it first. This is a great risk with machines from eBay, but, as we heard from Brandon at Stanford, it can happen right out of the box. Now Brandon's could have been a tape defect and the machine could have played a test tape fine, we don't know, but PLEASE, EVERYONE: when you get a new machine, try out a scratch tape or two first before using it with a good tape. I do that. Everyone should. I don't want that kind of work.

Funny story (sort of). The guy who had the DA-88 eat a tape was a previous client. Since he was a good previous client, I bought an eBay DA-38 to transfer his tape after I repaired it. The eBay machine was supposedly only used 75 hours. I got it, put an old tape in it. Chewed. I found the local Tascam-recommended repair shop and they fixed it up fine for me.

Cheers,

Richard