Re: [ARSCLIST] File Size Confusion

Friends,

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm looking forward to hearing more regarding converting from RF-64...

best, Brandon.

At 02:09 PM 8/21/2006, Mike Richter wrote:
Brandon Burke wrote:
All,
I was asked to pull a 10 minute section out of a much longer file today, but am unable to open it in WaveLab. It is an 8 hour(!) recording from one of our collections, committed to digital by the donor a handful of years ago, and saved as one continuous MP3. (I know, brilliant...)
Here's the specs on the file...
File Format: MP3
Properties: Mono / 48.0 kHz / 64 kbps
Length: 8h34mn222ms
Size: 235.29 MB
What's confusing me is this: The file is 235 MB but I cannot open it because (about 65% of the way though the decoding process) WaveLab 5 says that the file exceeds the 2GB size limit. What gives..?
I am able to open the file in Windows Media Player, iTunes, and other apps without an editing component BUT i obviously need to edit it in order to chop out the 10 minute section mentioned above.
Can anyone suggest a way to open this file in an editing app (preferably WaveLab 5)..?

thanks as always...and apologies if this is a dumb question,
Brandon

It's all perfectly reasonable. To open the file in an editor, it must be decompressed and held in a decompressed form. Assuming that "48.0 kHz" is 48.0 ksps, compression to 64 Kbps is very strange indeed - about 12:1. Thus, the 235 MB file will expand to nearly 3 GB within the editor and that is clearly too much for the program to deal with.

There is freeware to edit MP3s in simple ways such as splitting. Since I do not use it, I cannot offer a recommendation except to explore the WWW, try some until you find one that does not attempt to do too much and therefore can/will split the file for you without expanding it.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/

_______________________________________ Brandon Burke Archivist for Audio Collections Hoover Institution Archives Stanford University Stanford, CA 94305-6010 vox: 650.724.9711 fax: 650.725.3445 email: burke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx