Re: [ARSCLIST] .BWF implementation

Kevin,

There is a consensus internationally that the broadcast wave file format
should be used for archiving if possible. Many feel that the most
important part of that choice is using .wav, then making it a bwav if
you can. In addition to IASA, AES and NARAS recommend its use.

Software must support bwav in order to display the bwav-specific
metadata in the header. If it does not support this it will simply
ignore the bwav info and treat the file as a .wav file. Different
programs that support broadcast wave provide different user interfaces
for editing and viewing the bwav information, some better than others. A
well-designed interface should display all of the relevant data in a way
that is easy to use, but that is not always the case.

The Sound Directions project will be posting preliminary reports on
selected topics, including use of bwave, this fall on our website.
Briefly, we use the bwav header for basic metadata that can lead to
identification of the content of the file if it becomes separated from
its normal environment. It is not a substitute for a full metadata
system. We also use it for the timestamp, which is an important part of
our (particularly Harvard's) workflow. Harvard is creating a bwav
editor/reader that will be available as an open source tool.

Feel free to contact me off-list if you want to discuss the specifics of
how we use bwav.

Mike

Mike Casey
Associate Director for Recording Services
Archives of Traditional Music
Indiana University
micasey@xxxxxxxxxxx

(812)855-8090