[ARSCLIST] .BWF implementation

Is there a concensus as to the use of .BWF files for archiving or is it institution specific?  Although IASA TC-04 recommends it, my understanding is that different audio softwares have different implemenations.  Is it true that if I populate the header of a .BWF file in Wavelab and open it in another audio software the fields might be labelled / displayed differently or not at all?

Thank you.
Kevin