Re: [ARSCLIST] LP RECORD STORAGE

Use plywood not particle board. Cost is about the same.
  Plywood is stronger, it also does not soak up as much paint, and is actually lighter.
  Screws  and nails stay in better on plywood.

  Cheryl Thurber

eugene hayhoe <jazzme48912@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I have some of these wooden shelves from IKEA - I have magazines on them, for which they work fine, and 45s, for which they work ok, but I have to stack them horizontally to use them in that way. I would not use them for lps, as I do not think they are strong enough, and I would not think they would work very well if you have very many 78s for the same reason. What I would recommend (in fact, I am doing this myself this week, indeed taking a few minutes break from it at the moment) is to get some 4'x8' sheets of particle board (maybe $12-$15 per sheet probably) and have the place where you buy them cut them into shelves the width you would like (mine are 14 1/2 inches, for lps) and then cut pieces the same width into supports for the ends and middle of each shelf (again, in my case this was 14 1/2 "), 3 per shelf. Then, with another sheet of 4x8 particle board, cut one 4 ' shelf side off the end, then cut the remainder length wise for your end pieces. Assemble with screws
or nails - I estimate my cost, with paint to be about $40 per unit, a unit which is both sturdier & cheaper. If you use screws, you would need a drill, if nails, only a hammer. Believe me, I am no carpenter, but these are not hard to make.

Gene

Roger and Allison Kulp wrote:
I am thinking of buying some of these.I would like some more repoerts,as to how these work.It's going to take a while,for me to buy as many as I would need.I seem to be the only one here,who has a lot of singles.How are these for 10" 78s ? Would I be able to buy an additional shelf,or two,from IKEA,to add to the frames,to store 45s ?
Roger Kulp

>>> thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx 08/08/06 12:42 PM >>>
How many records do those $59.00 units hold ?
Roger Kulp

James L Wolf wrote:
I just ordered an Ivar unit. It's 2 shelves, about 32" wide and 19" deep.
It's solid wood and fine for LPs but probably not for 78s since the aren't
any dividers. I think you can get a 3 shelf unit too, and Ikea does deliver
via UPS. However I don't think this unit is in the on-line catalog, only the
print one for 2007.

>>> edix@xxxxxx 08/08/06 8:17 AM >>>
I am using Ikea's Ivar Shelving at home which is pretty cheap and I
think could hold 78s if you get the 17 inch wide boards. Of course
this works best if you have an Ikea store close by.

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?topcategoryId=15600&catalogId=10103&storeId=12&langId=-1&categoryId=15886&cattype=&parentCats=15600*16146*16149*15886