Re: [ARSCLIST] LP RECORD STORAGE

I have some of these wooden shelves from IKEA - I have magazines on them, for which they work fine, and 45s, for which they work ok, but I have to stack them horizontally to use them in that way. I would not use them for lps, as I do not think they are strong enough, and I would not think they would work very well if you have very many 78s for the same reason. What I would recommend (in fact, I am doing this myself this week, indeed taking a few minutes break from it at the moment) is to get some 4'x8' sheets of particle board (maybe $12-$15 per sheet probably) and have the place where you buy them cut them into shelves the width you would like (mine are 14 1/2 inches, for lps) and then cut pieces the same width into supports for the ends and middle of each shelf (again, in my case this was 14 1/2 "), 3 per shelf. Then, with another sheet of 4x8 particle board, cut one 4 ' shelf side off the end, then cut the remainder length wise for your end pieces. Assemble with screws
 or nails - I estimate my cost, with paint to be about $40 per unit, a unit which is both sturdier & cheaper. If you use screws, you would need a drill, if nails, only a hammer. Believe me, I am no carpenter, but these are not hard to make.

  Gene

Roger and Allison Kulp <thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I am thinking of buying some of these.I would like some more repoerts,as to how these work.It's going to take a while,for me to buy as many as I would need.I seem to be the only one here,who has a lot of singles.How are these for 10" 78s ? Would I be able to buy an additional shelf,or two,from IKEA,to add to the frames,to store 45s ?
Roger Kulp

>>> thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx 08/08/06 12:42 PM >>>
How many records do those $59.00 units hold ?
Roger Kulp

James L Wolf wrote:
I just ordered an Ivar unit. It's 2 shelves, about 32" wide and 19" deep.
It's solid wood and fine for LPs but probably not for 78s since the aren't
any dividers. I think you can get a 3 shelf unit too, and Ikea does deliver
via UPS. However I don't think this unit is in the on-line catalog, only the
print one for 2007.

>>> edix@xxxxxx 08/08/06 8:17 AM >>>
I am using Ikea's Ivar Shelving at home which is pretty cheap and I
think could hold 78s if you get the 17 inch wide boards. Of course
this works best if you have an Ikea store close by.

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?topcategoryId=15600&catalogId=10103&storeId=12&langId=-1&categoryId=15886&cattype=&parentCats=15600*16146*16149*15886