Re: [ARSCLIST] Josh White Langston Hughes Folksay records label Folksong and folksingers Stinson records

>From what I recall Folksay,was a reissue label,for Asch,and Disc.A budget label perhaps ?You know all of these were Moe Asch's labels,and he just kept reissuing the same stuff.
  Roger Kulp

Thomas Stern <sternth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Below I've transcribed the liner notes from the 10" LP JOSH WHITE
Folksay Records FLP-15.
"Josh White sings Easy" by Langston Hughes.
More fuel for the folksinger/folksong controversy, from the literary
viewpoint......

Some questions:
1.Is Langston Hughes' liner note also on the STINSON issue of this Josh
White album?
If Not, what is on the Stinson lp?
2.Elijah Wald notes the following JW-LH connection, what others?

> Josh also acted in a BBC radio play about black soldiers, The Man Who
> Went to War, written by Langston Hughes, and one of his most popular
> songs of this period was a war-and-integration number from Hughes'
> pen, "Freedom Road." This was not a strict blues, but both Hughes and
> Josh worked to make it fit his style:

3.Can someone provide information about the FOLKSAY record label
(appear to be
same as Stinson 10" lp's. So far I've only seen LOW catalog numbers).
4.Are the Folksay and Stinson issues RIVAL issues of this material
(anyone remember
the situation during the 60's blues rediscoveries era when the Piedmont
albums were issued on
different labels by the feuding principals in that enterprise), OR
simply a label change
at some point in time? Why?
5.Can someone provide accurate dates when Stinson started releasing
their albums on 12"lp's,
and when they moved from New York City to California?

Thanks!
Best wishes, Thomas.