Re: [ARSCLIST] LP RECORD STORAGE

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, steven c wrote:

> Which means you're paying $0.5695 (or almost 57 cents) per record for
> storage
> for them! Lemme see...I have somewhere over 40,000 78's, so I'd pay
> something
> over $22,780.00...

Then consider a library...currently our library pays $25 to copy catalog
each LP. Then there is the cost of the real estate to shelve the record,
climate control, etc. Then consider that selection is being done by a
clerk who has no background in music, so a fair amount of what we catalog is
garbage, sampler discs, etc. So, not only is expensive, probably about $30
a disc (labels, etc. as well)...but when it comes to our library, a fair
amount of money being wasted.

We tend not to think of what it costs us to keep our personal collections,
but...when I had my house built, I chose a floor plan which would give me
a record room. That added cost to the house, then there is the added cost
of the air conditioning, acid free paper sleeves, shelving, etc.

Often times the cost of the item is the smallest part of the costs.

Karl