Re: [ARSCLIST] LP RECORD STORAGE

In a message dated 8/8/2006 12:57:31 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

There's  also my method, which is to keep an ear open for any collectors who
depart  this planet..send sympathies, then ask where the shelves are going. I
just  filled up a van this weekend. Sick but true. That aside, I've also
inherited  several fabulous sets of shelves by being in the right place at the
right  time..some huge industrial metal units came from an
accounting firm that no  longer needed them (and one of the accountants was a
record collector), other  custom-built wooden units came from a production
company once it had gotten  rid of all its LPs. Yet another batch of shelving
was on its way into a  dumpster in my storage complex when I noticed them and
offered the guys a few  bucks to bring them to my lockup.

I got some of best 78 shelves from a collector who was simply  moving from
California to Mississippi and didn't want to take the shelves with  him. They
were two monstrous units that originally came from an old radio  station, so you
know they were built sturdily. Each is 6 feet high by about 10  feet long,
with beautifully curved dividers - attractive as well as utilitarian.  The
things were painted a garish green so I redid the facing all in black,  didn't
touch the inside, mounted the whole thing on a rectangular box,  raising the whole
thing about 8 inches off the floor, and then anchored the  whole thing to the
wall studs. It's now literally part of the house.

Cary  Ginell
Origin Jazz  Library
www.originjazz.com