Re: [ARSCLIST] LP RECORD STORAGE

Cary Ginell wrote:

> I got some of best 78 shelves from a collector who was simply  moving from
> California to Mississippi and didn't want to take the shelves with  him. They
> were two monstrous units that originally came from an old radio  station, so you
> know they were built sturdily. Each is 6 feet high by about 10  feet long,
> with beautifully curved dividers - attractive as well as utilitarian.  The
> things were painted a garish green so I redid the facing all in black,  didn't
> touch the inside, mounted the whole thing on a rectangular box,  raising the whole
> thing about 8 inches off the floor, and then anchored the  whole thing to the
> wall studs. It's now literally part of the house.

Similar situation..when I was at the CBC in Edmonton and about to return to Toronto,
they decided to replace their wonderful solid wooden library shelves with "modern"
metal ones and offered the old ones to any staffers who wanted to bid. I ended up with
a batch of them at $25 each. Of course it then cost me about $1400 to move them to
Toronto, and they had to be cut down to fit into the house I was moving into..! But
that was 20 years ago and 2 houses later, I'm still using those shelves.

dl