[ARSCLIST] FW: [music] 75th Birthday Special for/with Chris Strachwitz on KPFA (fwd)

Happy Birthday, Chris!
-Jerry Fabris

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 11:34:41 -0700
From: Sandy Miranda <Sandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: 75th Birthday Special for/with Chris Strachwitz on KPFA

I invited Chris Strachwitz into the the KPFA studio last week to do a 75th
Birthday special.  I was Chris' radio engineer for many years on KPFA, so I
thought it only fitting to have him in to spin some Arhoolie and other gems of
his choosing.

John McCord, of Down Home Music, came in as a surprise guest, with a recording
of a great song he wrote for Chris, which we heard at Chris' official birthday
party last month.  I asked John to go into the studio to record it, and he
corralled Laurie Lewis, Tom Rosen, and other folks to back  him up.  The result
was priceless, and Chris was surprised, to say the least.  You can listen to
the show via the link below.

Listen to this program on your computer by clicking here:
http://www.kpfa.org/cgi-bin/gen-mpegurl.m3u?server=157.22.130.4&port=80&file=dummy.m3u&mount=/data/20060803-Thu1000.mp3

ARTIST/SONG/ALBUM/LABEL

Jimmy Yeats/Bloody War/from Chris's 78 collection
Wingy Manone/Stop that War/same as above
Git Tanner & his Skillet Lickers/John Henry/ditto (1st recorded  version?)

Whitetop Mountain Band/Lee Highway Blues/Bull Plus 10%/Arhoolie
Whitetop Mountain Band/Loving You Too Well/Bull Plus 10%/Arhoolie
No Speed Limit/Ruby/Sweet Virginia/Arhoolie
No Speed Limit/Henry Box Brown/Sweet Virginia/Arhoolie

Butch Cage & Willie B Thomas/Rock Me, Mama/Old Time Black Southern String Band
Music/Arhoolie
Lydia Mendoza/Muniquita Linda/La Alondra de la Frontera/Arhoolie
Los Alegres de Teran/La Arrepentida/Los Alegres de Teran/Arhoolie

Big Mama Thornton/My Heavy Load/Bib Mama Thornton In Europe/Arhoolie
Clifton Chenier/Zydeco Et Pas Sale/Louisiana Blues & Zydeco/Arhoolie
Nathan Abshire and Pine Grove Boys/?/Nathan Abshire & Pine Grove Boys/Fais Do
Do
Pine Leaf Boys/Chez Moreau/La Musique/Arhoolie

George Lewis/Ice Cream/George Lewis & Kid Shots/American Music
The Cold Storage Band/Bulawago Jazz/Southern Rhodesia, Zimbabwe 1950-52/?
Mance Lipscomb/Tom Moore's Blues/Live at the Cabale/Arhoolie

And.....a surprise song for Chris by John McCord of Down Home Music that talks
about some of the journey of Chris Strachwitz:

We've come to wish
Happy birthday to Chris
Born on this day of happiness
A while ago

He came to this land
An eager young fan
Of Satchmo's band and dixieland
Ain't that so

Our radio knocked him out
Hunter Hancock's shout
Maddox Brothers & Rose
Big Jay's wild blows
Ain't that so

His first musical fame
Came at the Big Game
George Lewis's name
Was brought to acclaim
Ain't that so

He taught a little school
But he were'nt no fool
He thought music was cool
and that passion ruled
Ain't that so

Ain't that so
Well, brother, ain't that so
He wasn't so nice
to no musical mice
(He'll never be nice)
Well, ain't that so

Down south he took a trip
To find some blues so hip
At Wade's shop he was clipped
He really flipped
Ain't that so

He found Lightning like blues
And Mance's songstering too
Then those zydeco shoes
>From Clifton's bayous
Ain't that so

He really started having fun
Hanging with the cajuns
Let that bon ton roulet run
While the Savoys swung
Ain't that so

And guess what's next
He fell in love with Tex Mex
(Better than sex, just ask the Czechs)
Flaco's squeezebox simplemente rocks
Well, ain't that so

Ain't that so, brother ain't that so
When's he ever been nice to those musical mice
(He won't think twice)
He's el fanatico, but we love him so
Ain't that so

Then he brought huayno from Peru
And Klezmer from the Jews
Gospel's good news, and scared steel blues
Ain't that so

He turned our green grass blue
With Rose, Snuffy, Del and crew
Brass bands wild stew, Bongo Joe's doggie too
Ain't that so

Here's to Arhoolie, and good old Down Home
Brazos films, the fountation
Ain't that so

His music is true
Cuz his heart's in it too