Re: [ARSCLIST] Thin tape decay

Hello Marcos,

I just finished transferring and auditioning several c 120 and 180
minute cassettes  and found none to be problematic. No loss of lubricant
issues, sticky shead or base deformation whatsoever. All had been
properly stored in a relatively low humidity controlled temprature
environment which is probably the exception versus the norm.
The audio levels on the 180's wasn't what I'd expected- low overall .
But that may have been attributable to the recordist or machine used.

I hope this is usefull.

Bob Hodge

Robert Hodge,
Senior Engineer
Belfer Audio Archive
Syracuse University
222 Waverly Ave .
Syracuse N.Y. 13244-2010

315-443- 7971
FAX-315-443-4866

>>> mls2137@xxxxxxxxxxxx 8/2/2006 10:24 AM >>>
Greetings

Was wondering whether anyone on the list knows of any hard data out
there
(or even substantial anecdotal evidence) that shows that thinner tape
decays
faster, and to what kind of physical decay thin tape is most
susceptible as
time goes: cupping/curling, brittleness, shedding, etc. And even (and I
know
this is asking much) whether, say, 0.5 mil is "twice as bad" as 1 mil,
or
"four times as bad", etc. This is not playback-related; rather, picture
two
reels of the same formulation but different thicknesses, sitting side
by
side for a few years.

Will appreciate any information.

Thanks much