Re: [ARSCLIST] Mercury co-founder Irving Green passes

Guess I should buy some then.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 10:00 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Mercury co-founder Irving Green passes

Hi Phillip:

Not really. I've never tried them out. I have the out of print EMI CD's and the original Mercury LPs. It would be interesting to know if they were given EMI's digital masters or if they had new transfers made. One of the Dvorak symphonies was released in the late 90's on some 3rd party label, apparently licensing the EMI digital master. It sounds just like the EMI CD, so they did something where the quality didn't get lost. The EMI CD's sound pretty darn good to my ears. Even though it was late 80's or early 90's, they didn't go overboard with room-deadening "hiss reduction" or other digi-tools and the Pye tapes must have been in good condition.

-- Tom Fine

PS -- if it's not clear what recordings are used on the Barbirolli Society CD's, use their e-mail link and ask. I think I did once and got a speedy and informative response. I was hoping to find it to paste into this e-mail but my inbox is not well organized.