Re: [ARSCLIST] Mercury co-founder Irving Green passes

Can you recommend any of the Barbirolli Society discs?
Phillip
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 7:34 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Mercury co-founder Irving Green passes

Hi Roger:

I don't know about the whole Pye catalog. The recordings made by the Mercury crew were originally issued on Mercury and, I think, Pye, at the same time. Interestingly, the Pye records are different because they took only the right and left mic feeds and not the center mic. So the Mercury LP sounds different from the Pye/EMI reissue CD and, I assume, the original Pye LP. Other Halle recordings were apparently made by other labels, but I don't know anything about them. The current Barbirolli Society compilation CD's sometimes combine Mercury/Pye recordings with others, sometimes not.

-- Tom Fine