Re: [ARSCLIST] DVD audio level

I'd take it even farther than that. There is a very active collector
community, of which I am one , who l maintain a collection of television
 and AM  radio gear who will always find a way of supplying signals for
this equiipment.
There are presently methods of supplying signals for disc television
equipment, to illustrate my point. AM radio is a walk in the park in
comparison.  Similarly, there are collectors who will go the extra mile
to get transformers rewound and picture tubes rebuilt to keep the early
equipment working.
Sure, you can't receive those signals over the air, but  does that
really matter ? An old VCR can be used to supply a modulated signal to a
NTSC receiver. All you have to do is supply baseband audio and video.

Any gear which deserves to survive will. The cheap plasic throwaway
boxes with a tube attatched to a tiny printed circuit board which use
parts which cannot be replaced will probably survive in small numbers as
mute examples of the end of the technological chain. No one is
attempting to come up with a method of building replacements for
obsolete I.C.'s so that will be as far as those sets will go.
Replacement vacuum tubes abound for most postwar television equipment.
Parts manufacturers still stock capacitors and resistors to replace
needed parts in this equipment.  1945 to present and you can still buy a
.047 mfd @ 600 volt cap.which is superior to the original.  Seven years
go by and some I.C 's are unobtainable.

The knoweldge to maintain that equipment will be around via those same
collectors who presently preserve this equipment and those who will rise
to the task in the future.. ( Sounds like ARSC, doesn't it?)

Don't toss your tube receiver !  Buck the trend !

My 2 bits, once again.....

Bob Hodge

Robert Hodge,
Senior Engineer
Belfer Audio Archive
Syracuse University
222 Waverly Ave .
Syracuse N.Y. 13244-2010

315-443- 7971
FAX-315-443-4866

Lou Judson wrote:

> I'm wondering - exactly when will analog TV and cable go away, and
how
> many NTSC televisions will end up in landfill?

IMHO, about a decade after the last AM radio is junked.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/