Re: [ARSCLIST] eBay Listing : Rauland 1960 Tube Power Amp/PA Vintage 1950's

What's the tube complement? I work on tube stuff all the time for people and it's a lot easier than it appears.
Phillip
----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Hodge" <rjhodge@xxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2006 8:21 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] eBay Listing : Rauland 1960 Tube Power Amp/PA Vintage 1950's

I doubt very much that this amplifier uses components or tubes which
cannot be replaced with modern replacements. Capacitors, resistors and,
unless the tubes were specially designed for the output circuit,can
easily be purchased for very reasonable prices. Dukane was known for
designing circuits which used tubes specially designed and  built for
them.
Somehow I doubt Rauland would have done that. It's tough to read the
rear panel of this amp, but I see 4 xlr connectors which would probably
indicate 4 mic inputs. XLR's are typically(but not always) used for Mic
inputs on most equipment of this type I've encountered.

Bob Hodge

Bob Hodge

Robert Hodge,
Senior Engineer
Belfer Audio Archive
Syracuse University
222 Waverly Ave .
Syracuse N.Y. 13244-2010

315-443- 7971
FAX-315-443-4866

stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 7/1/2006 6:35 PM >>>
----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger and Allison Kulp" <thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx>
The amp can be found
here.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&item=200003130866&;
rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 Is anybody here familiar with
this
thing ?
I have one,that needs some minor work,and I was wondering if it had
any
merit for serious listening.I have had it sitting in a closet for
years,(Ever since I stole it from an abandoned roller rink,some
homeless
guys broke into.)and have not found anyone willing to work on it,as
everbody
says they have never heard (of) it,so therefore it must be junk.Emails
vintage audio sites,have illicited similar responses.It appears to be
an
amp,and preamp,in one,what they call an intergrated amp,nowadays,I
guess.While I'm at it,I have one of those Hewlett-Packard
oscillators,of
WWII vintage,identical to those used on "Fantasia".(Twenty bucks at the
flea
market,in 2002.)This has Western Electric amp inside,as well as
functioning
WE tubes.Is there a WE model amp, comparable to this unit,and what
would it
be ? Roger Kulp

Make/model number of your "mystery amp?" Note that these old "Public
Address Systems" included by definition both "pre-amp" and "power amp"
stages in the same chassis...so you could plug a mike, record player
or radio into the proper input jack and have that heard all over the
auditorium/skating rink/wotever. BTW...what is the tube line-up?

Most of these amps weren't built for "high fidelity"...they were
simply built to provide power enough to feed an array of speakers.
As their "public address" name implies, their bandwidth was aimed
mostly at reproducing the human voice as well as to reproduce
records (volume was more important than fidelity).

Repairing them is only a complicated task if/when replacement
parts are needed (including tubes!). Tube circuitry often used
components rated at 400 or 600 volts...and modern soild-state
circuitry doesn't use such components!

...stevenc
http://users.interlinks.net/stevenc/