Re: [ARSCLIST] "Forever" is hype (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Why sticky shed happened)

In a message dated 7/1/2006 3:13:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I read somewhere that some organization, maybe a government agency, was
studying printing binary
machine language of certain key digital documents or software and printing on
archival paper, the
idea being that it would survive a nuclear war and if surviving people could
somehow construct a
computer and punch this stuff in, they'd be able to recreate the digital
content. Might be sci-fi
but I'm pretty sure I read it from a reputable news source. This may have
been some dot-bomb bs in
the 90s, however.

-- Tom Fine

About 30 years ago the Kodak research laboratory was working on recording
digital data on silver halides in gelatin on glass discs. That combination of
materials has held up for more than 100 years with reasonable storage conditions.
High resolution black and white emulsions hadn't changed much in that time,
though "improved" emulsions may be different now. It may have actually been
used for some military projects.

Mike Csontos