Re: [ARSCLIST] Why sticky shed happened

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Richard L. Hess wrote:

> The "why?" is interesting from the perspective of knowing what
> happened to specify type-specific cures to type-specific problems.
> The "why?" is very uninteresting from a legal perspective. I hope, at
> this point, no one wishes to redress any losses due to tape
> degradation.

I would tend to agree with Richard. As far as I know, no recording medium
or any electronic storage medium is advertized as lasting
indefinitely...or even, in the case of that bad lot of AGFA I
encountered...a year. I doubt AGFA made any money by selling that batch of
tape.

Perhaps all means to store electronic information should come with a
limited warranty...unfortunately, even with a limited warranty, how can
you "fix" lost information?

Karl