Re: [ARSCLIST] Disposition of those bluegrass tapes

At 6/27/2006 08:27 PM, dl wrote:
I'm not up on who owns recording rights, but I wonder if it's a similar situation
(in Canada) to that of photographs, where the creator of the negative is the owner?
The Glenn Gould estate sued over Jock Carroll's book of Gould photographs but the
courts ruled in Carroll's favour. Too bad Jock had died by the time it was settled.

As I understand it, the photographer owns the negative and the image, but the subject controls use of his likeness. This is why photographers need "model releases." In cases of prominent people, their likeness might also be protected by trademark. Apparently, it's different in Canada, if the courts allowed Carroll to use Gould's likeness.

John Ross