Re: [ARSCLIST] Why sticky shed happened

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard L. Hess" <arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Even paper isn't, but it does the best job (assuming it's acid-free) short
> of stone tablets. (Yes, I know that some stone tablets fail when
> exposed to acid rain...)

Which puts "paid" to the saying "carved in stone" at least when used to
mean "forever and ever!" In fact, I have seen too many 19th century
tombstones that are totally illegible after a century or more of exposure
to the elements...so paper CAN outlast stone! I have some 1890's newspapers
that are still intact and legible in spite of never having been carefully
stored.

Offhand, the longevity "champ" would seem to be shellac discs; I have
turn of the century 78's that sound as good as they ever did...

Steven C. Barr
(does cat hair fall under "sticky shed?" Ecru sheds all over the place,
and it seems to stick to my dark clothing... :-) )