Re: [ARSCLIST] Ampex 456 - tip of the iceberg...chemistry

Tommy,

This could be some valuable information for the group. Interesting about the lack of problems after the packaging change...I wonder if they changed something in their slurry or coating line at the same time.

Also, I may have a line on actually reaching someone who was with BASF for a number of years before they exited the tape business. If anything of interest comes to light, I'll post it.

--Scott D. Smith

Chicago Audio Works, Inc.

Tommy Sjöberg wrote:

Actually, my only experience was with 1/4" and 1/2" tapes. I also noted that when Agfa had switched their packaging (I guess around 1990), the 469 didn't have any problems after that, at least up 'til 1994. I did put together a database of the tapes we handled, sometimes having to guess the year of recording. I will try to get access to that data again, to see which years were involved.

Tommy Sjöberg
Center for Swedish Folk Music and Jazz Research
Stockholm, Sweden

Scott D. Smith wrote:

Your observations regarding 468 and 469 are similar to the experiences I had with some batches of stock (in all widths) around the mid-to-late 1980's. The stock we received prior to this time period seemed to be fine, and the tapes I still have on the shelf which date from about 1979 to 1985 all play fine, as do tapes from the early and mid 1990's.