Re: [ARSCLIST] Ampex 456

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

My guess is that the manufacturers of magnetic recording tape never thought
it would need to have a significant lifespan! Its commercial uses (for
example, as recording master tapes [which only needed to last until the
record was pressed, in theory], recording radio programs for later broadcast
[thus only to last until the broadcast] and such implied a short life
followed by disposability! So...nobody thought about "let's see what
happens to the tapes in <timespan>"...

Steven C. Barr