Re: [ARSCLIST] Archiving at double speed

Kevin,

Pretty much a bad approach all the way around. You would need a reproducer with exceptional HF response to maintain anything even approaching flat response over about 12 kHz. Also, if the tapes are Dolby encoded, the decoder will not work properly, as you have shifted the knee of the filter curve up an octave. (DBX, being a broadband compander, might work, but I wouldn't count on it).

We have a Studer reproducer that will get out to about 30 kHz, and can run at 3 3/4 IPS, but even that won't reproduce the full response band that cassettes are capable of. On the other hand, if there is no NR used, and you don't mind the HF loss, you could conceivably go this route.

--Scott D. Smith

Chicago Audio Works, Inc.

Ganesh.Irelan@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Here's an ethical / quality question, if one wanted to speed up the archiving of a batch of standard cassette tapes by playing them back at double speed (3 3/4 ips), recording into a workstation, then resampling the saved files so they are at normal speed, what would be the consequences / loss of quality?

Thanks.
Kevin