Re: [ARSCLIST] MX5050 speed change

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello, this addresses only a small part of what Richard Hess mentioned in his
response to John Loy:

> I THOUGHT at least some versions of the Otari
> MX5050 had a hysteresis-synchronous capstan motor
> which would mean changing pulleys if it is belt
> drive or the capstan diameter (which would affect
> the whole tape path) if it were direct drive.

----- the advantage of a hysteresis-synchronous motor is that it is self-
starting, and after it has created its poles itself, it locks into synchrony.
It is usually a mains motor. If it is not heavily loaded, it will start on a
wide range of frequencies. If you can supply only the motor with 30 Hz at a
suitable voltage, and if it was not running near its saturation at the
original 60 Hz, then it will make a very nice half speed. Since you will go
to a shop anyway to have it done, they will probably be knowledeable about
it.

Kind regards,

George