Re: [ARSCLIST] Stereo records.

Yes. As explained to me, because of phase shift in the OPT, the feedback becomes additive as opposed to error correction. Not good. Of course, what they do in the feedback loop is roll of the feedback so you aren't injecting a nonsequiter into the input. Interesting stuff. The point about feedback working properly is that for it to work really well, you have to have very linear active devices and very wide bandwidth all the way through and lots of headroom. At that point the amp hardly needs feedback to be stable. It's kind of like being a millionaire and everyone is offering to lend you money. The guy who really needs the loan can't get it. Sorry for the mediocre analogy.
Phillip
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerome Hartke" <jhartke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 4:17 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Stereo records.

Tube amplifiers using output transformers are quite limited as to the amount
of negative feedback because of significant phase shift introduced by the
transformer at both very low and very high audio frequencies. Instability
can occur with moderate amounts of feedback. Output transformer cores can
also saturate. Both limitations result in higher distortion for tube
amplifiers as compared to solid state amps, both using negative feedback
levels that are essential to achieving high performance.

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.