Re: [ARSCLIST] Stereo records.

----- Original Message -----
From: "phillip holmes" <insuranceman@xxxxxxxxxx>
> I mean below 40Hz.  And the early stereo microphone techniques were at
least
> 10' apart.
> I have "full range" speakers, but I added subwoofers because the room
volume
> was too large.  After adding the subs, I noticed less of a problem with
> standing waves (but created other problems with crossover between the subs
> and the fullrange speakers and distance between the two--very hard to get
> right).  A friend pointed out that "sub" woofers should be pointless since
> they are "below" bass.  But I never felt like I could hear the hall
without
> subs.  Concert halls add as much character to the bass as the midrange and
> up.

Having played music live any number of times, the large wavelength of bass
notes...and the resulting cancellations and additive effects in an
acoustically
"live" room (the average beer joint) can cheerfully drive one nutzoid!

I used to stand about five or six feet from the bass player...but usually
couldn't hear most of what he was playing! I discovered that walking up
and down an aisle quickly changed from "no bass" to "nothing BUT bass!"
In fact, my bass player told me of once turning up his amp, since he
couldn't hear himself...until he finally shook a cement-block wall
apart! (could be aprocyphal?)...