Re: [ARSCLIST] Stereo records.

Bob (others),
On summing to mono in the bass, besides the option of doing so by mastering engineers, didn't many labels send tapes that had the bass in mono? I just don't hear many LPs that have true stereo bass. The few classical records I have with huge bass in stereo are easy to identify visually (big old grooves). I'm not trying to contradict you, but I've got very large servo stereo subwoofers, and with a lot of major releases, I don't hear swirling bass, bass panned hard left or right, and ping-pong bass.
And I understand why singles are cut loud. Everyone involved wants to attract attention to their song (all the musicians, engineers, execs, radio stations, etc..). With all the bad-mouthing of lossy compression, I have been exposed to music with more dynamics on streaming radio than on the radio. The radio stations compress everything. It's not true that all new music is excessively compressed. For some interesting music, try WFMU's online broadcast.
Phillip

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Olhsson" <olh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
phillip holmes <insuranceman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Many mastering engineers would sum the low bass to mono.  The good ones
also
>have an oscilloscope to look out for hot out of phase signals.

I'd like to correct this because I see it turning into a common
misconception about how vinyl records were mastered.

I have attended numerous mastering sessions with the handful of engineers
who accounted for 90% of the titles on the Billboard charts between 1970 and
1990. I can't remember a single instance that this technique was employed.
Yes, Neumann mastering consoles had a switch that sums the low-end at
several frequencies however this doesn't mean that people used it very
often. Also stock Neumann mastering consoles didn't have a very good
reputation for sound quality so in many cases all of the active circuitry
had been replaced. Finally, virtually everybody mixing and mastering major
label releases had a scope running by 1970 and most of us still use one
every day.

The reason we made "hot" 45s in the '60s was exactly the same reason we
are seeing "hot" CDs today.

The biggest challenge to every record company has always been getting
records into the stores and then getting people into those stores to buy
them. This almost always entails a series of meetings where the first 15 to
thirty seconds of a large stack of new releases gets played and immediately
added to the "keepers" or tossed in the wastebasket. Levels that are "too
low" relative to the competition put your record at a huge disadvantage in
this process.