Re: [ARSCLIST] Repairing (or purchasing) a Uher

At 10:59 PM 6/17/2006, you wrote:
Richard (all),
I'd hate to see any deck "parted out". Do you know another source for PR99 parts (other than eBay)?
Phillip

Hello, Phillip,

Lots of working machines from far-away (in terms of shipping) corners of the world get parted out. There may be some parts at Filmco and NBDeals in Toronto that aren't from parted-out machines, and Studer/Harman in LA may have some.

If someone buys those low-speed B77s from Cory for $500, that will save them from getting parted out.

For example, I have three working A810s and three in various stages of disprepair. One of those I intend to get working with parts from the others. One was given to me as a carcass with lots of missing parts, and another has been scavenged to repair damaged pieces on the first three. I don't think I have enough parts/patience/energy to get the fifth machine working.

My collection of Sony APR-5000s is more parts machines than working - but I have about 26. Many of them came to me as parts machines - better than the dumpster, I think. To save space and make parts accessible, I actually plan on stripping the really bad carcasses -- someday.

Lots of good machines have been dumpstered over time. Better the machines get parted out than dumpstered. Cory's in a situation where shipping a machine from Regina is expensive and most people don't want to pay for it. He makes a good living selling the parts and it does keep other machines working.

Most parts are unobtanium - certainly resistors, capacitors, chips can be bought from Mouser or DigiKey, and I don't know of anyone who parts out that kind of stuff unless they're leftovers (I did buy some of the stud mount capacitors in the A810 from Cory.

Anyway, it's sad, but also a fact of life.

I wonder what it will be like in 20-30 years? We'll have to have a personal machine shop!

Cheers,

Richard