Re: [ARSCLIST] Stereo records.

It's long been a theory of mine that record club issues were cut to track more easily on less expensive machines. The most expensive part of the retail record business is returns. My real early edition of "Bridge over Troubled Waters" on LP seems to have more bass than any later issues.

Steven Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "phillip holmes" <insuranceman@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2006 9:07 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Stereo records.

One other thing. They could cut some radical stuff back then when they wanted. George Piros cut stuff that was impossible for the average consumer to play back on his/her Magnavox/RCA/Columbia changer. Most turntables had horrible tonearms with horrible bearings, no overhang adjustment, and cartridges with conical diamonds. What's the first elliptical stylus? The Shure M3D? And they tracked at 3 grams. So they had to cut big easy to negotiate grooves. I've heard anecdotal stories that RCA and Mercury got complaints from customers who couldn't get their cartridges to play their records, even to the point that the cartridge was "knocked out of the groove". The cannon fire on the Mercury 1812 could do that.
Phillip
----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Shoshani" <mshoshani@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>