Re: [ARSCLIST] Ampex 456 - tip of the iceberg...chemistry

At 09:10 PM 6/16/2006, Parker wrote:
on 6/16/06 7:05 PM US/Central, Richard L. Hess at arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> We can create a hypothesis that back-coating in contact with binder
> has a catalytic effect on the degradation of the binder.

My experience is that the binder compound is much more likely to be
transferred to the smooth surface of the hub or adjacent layers of plastic
timing tape.

These are specific areas where there is no such contact at all.

That is indeed true, but that is a separate problem. I've seen that on Maxell UD-35 to 3M white plastic leader, but UD-35 has been reasonably good for transferring, although I noticed bursts of high frequencies that my mics couldn't record nor the recorder record and I suspect that we were seeing small bursts of stiction on playback. I thought at first there had been bats in the church until I realized that I couldn't record those levels (this is in the > 20 kHz area of an 88.2 ks/s transfer). I want to revisit that tape with a treatment I'm working on.

---
Parker Dinkins
MasterDigital Corporation
CD Mastering + Audio Restoration