Re: [ARSCLIST] Ampex 456 - tip of the iceberg...chemistry

on 6/16/06 7:05 PM US/Central, Richard L. Hess at arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> We can create a hypothesis that back-coating in contact with binder
> has a catalytic effect on the degradation of the binder.

My experience is that the binder compound is much more likely to be
transferred to the smooth surface of the hub or adjacent layers of plastic
timing tape.

These are specific areas where there is no such contact at all.

---
Parker Dinkins
MasterDigital Corporation
CD Mastering + Audio Restoration