Re: [ARSCLIST] Ampex 456 - tip of the iceberg...chemistry

At 08:36 PM 6/16/2006, Tom Fine wrote:
You know, there should be a special ARSC meeting on this, maybe in conjunction with the AES.

I've proposed a paper to AES in SF this October along these lines. Let's see if it's accepted.

Let's get the authors of these papers and books if they can be persuaded.

These are busy folks, but some are helping out.

Let's get some good Chem 101 professor to explain all this in layman's terms and let's see if some of the big holders of tapes with a lot on the line (ie the record companies and such large institutions as the LOC) can put up some $$$ to fund some tape-specific research.

This is in process in Europe and the results should be published next year - but the main focus has been on U-Matic video.

I also think if one asked in the context of getting to the bottom of this, the folks that Quantegy might share the recipes for the sticky tapes (I understand they bought all of 3M's recipes so they must have documentation on hand).

There may be process-related issues that were independent of the formulations.

I can't understand why, all these years after this problem has been discovered, that there are all these questions.

I would think partially because the scope of it hasn't been understood. The beginnings of any of these things start out "you're the only one experiencing these problems." Someone I know when he was still in Hollywood put together a coalition of post houses who were all told, "you're the only one..." -- that problem was fixed--I think it had to do with short life of VTR heads.

It seems like the answers are known but the dots aren't connected.

Pieces are known, but it is a very variable and moving target. "Running Changes" happened. They're not always admitted. For example (and I don't know which videotape) it was presented at AMIA in Austin last year by Benoît Thiébaut that there were four different formulations of the same manufacturer/model videotape. Some of these are sticky, one is not, if I recall correctly.

Richard Hess has done the most dot connecting of anyone who I know of who seems willing to share the information.

I'm sharing in the hopes other will share and correct me. There are so many pieces. We still may just need to use tried and true restoration techniques like baking (and others) and get on with transferring the stuff. I had a Philips PM3214B oscilloscope from the mid-1970s and the paint went sticky-gooey. I gave it away when I collected my Tek scopes. The Philips also had dirty switches. I had bought it new. I mention the Philips scope as I think there is a tie-in between the polyester-polyurethane binders that were sold to Philips (or their subcontractor) for painting and those sold for making tape binders.

We can give it a lot of fancy names, but I'm preferring one name: DEGRADATION. The tapes are degrading, plain and simple, in a multiplicity of ways.

I know some tape industry people say that storage conditions are a worse degrader of tapes than inherent vice ever will be. I agree that pertains to tapes stored in attics, etc. We don't know the storage history of the tape that started this discussion in Norway, but it has spent its recent life in the optimum storage conditions currently recommended by the standards from AES, etc.

He's got a studio to run and he doesn't own a chemistry lab. So it seems like there would be vested interest of the owners of all these valuable sticky tapes to step up and make the answers clearer.

It takes one person to rattle the cage. Henry Wilhelm's model is not lost on me. I think at one time, Henry was banned from the City of Rochester, NY....or perhaps that's just an urban legend.

Maybe there's a political issue I'm not seeing?

There are many. Part of it is that, long term, it may be more cost effective to NOT spend millions researching the tapes and just transfer them. Sure works for yours and my business model, but whatever part of me likes pure science wants to understand -- in the sense of really grock -- what is going on. I don't feel that I can do that yet. Jim Wheeler once told me that when I run tests on some reels of tape I'll know a lot more about the reels of tape I ran the tests on. ... transferring that knowledge to other tapes is a big question due to storage history and manufacturing tolerances.

I think I need to go and keep reading Bhushan's book. I'm in the lubrication chapter now.

Cheers,

Richard