Re: [ARSCLIST] Repairing (or purchasing) a Uher

At 09:21 PM 6/13/2006, Steve Smolian wrote:
I've had success in the past finding 911 logging machines used by law enforcement agencies. I have a Revox that plays 15/16 and has 4 independent playback tracks, with switches to in/out any individual track.. This was ex-Canadian RCMP.

I'd love to find one of those. Most loggers from Dictaphone, etc. were 15/32 in/s, though, so you could record a full day on a reel of tape.

Another solution, less precise, is to devise a network that will electronically adjust the equalization to account for the tape speed difference, play the tape through that, dub to a hard drive at 1-7/8, then reduce the pitch by an octave via the computer program. Most of the professional DAW programs can do this last step easily. The network will take some tinkering, however.

But you should be able to do the "network" in the PC.

When I have transferred at 2x, I've played the 1x MRL tape and then adjusted the EQ for a curve that brings the MRL tones flat. I did that before I slowed the APR-5000 down to 1.88 in/s, when I was using another machine. I think at 15/16 all bets are off as Jay doesn't even sell a tape for that speed (I don't think), and I'm not even sure there is a standard curve for 15/16 nor 15/32.

For the 1/2-inch and 1-inch loggers, there are MANY different track configurations. Some are in the decade increment and others are in an octal increment. I do have a 20 channel 1/2" and 40 channel 1" 15/32 Dictaphone logger that I got when I was chasing a project that subsequently went to someone else and I've now never fired it up. Someday.

While on the subject of odd formats, I did have JRF mount a pair of IRIG 7-track 1/2" heads for my APR-16 as I've turned down three requests to recover voice tracks from 1/2" IRIG 7-track.

The logging/instrumentation world is as full of as many formats/speeds as audio! At least I don't think they had add-on noise reduction, but they did FM in instrumentation.

Cheers,

Richard