To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 7:03 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Repairing (or purchasing) a Uher

Hello, Barbara,

Your problem is indicative of the problems we will see more and more as the world of analog magnetic tape spirals down.

While I would like to be able to get my Uher 4000 Report S working, I haven't spent the time doing it. The only tape machine with real factory support that I am aware of is the Studer A807 and its factory support is only through 2010. It was discontinued in 2002 or 2003, if I recall correctly.

Studer/Harman is being wonderful about this, actually, but repair is not inexpensive by any means.

My approach has been to standardize on relatively inexpensive, relatively plentiful, and extremely capable tape machines for my tape transfer business. For reel tapes, I do all my 1/4-inch transfer work on Studer A810s and Sony APR-5000s. The Sony APR-5000 can be coaxed into doing 1.88 (1-7/8) in/s. You set it at 3.75 in/s and then dial in -50% varispeed.

I have a 1.88 in/s MRL alignment tape, so I adjust tape type preset 3 for 3.75 in/s to have the proper reproduce response for 1.88 in/s. Quick, operation: Dial in -50% varispeed, push tape type 3 on the alignment panel, press play after you start your computer recording.

What to do with 15/16 in/s? Simple: Record it at 88.2 ks/s and then play the file back at 44.1 ks/s.

At 1.88 in/s and below we're talking voice grade on reels. There isn't much "fidelity" there like there is in cassettes. Response is flat to about 8 kHz on the APR-5000 at 1.88 in/s, and then starts to fall off and is down about 2 dB at 10 kHz if I remember correctly.

So, at 15/16 in/s you'll barely get to 5 kHz, but only Nakamichi cassette decks did much better than this at 15/16 (apparently one or two had this speed and did very well with it).

One of the problems is optimizing the head for both fast and slow speed operation.

Now I do have a Racal Store 4DS instrumentation recorder that runs from 15/16 to 60 in/s in the normal speed steps and its amazing response is here
http://richardhess.com/notes/formats/magnetic-media/magnetic-tapes/instrumentation/
but its noise performance isn't as good and the normal equalization is not applied, so that would have to be post produced in the computer. "Direct" means essentially no "audio" equalization, just a constant current record.

You might find the Racal with computer or outboard EQs to be a good solution to listening to these tapes, but it has its own problems.

One of the reasons that I chose to get into this business is I also do my own repairs on most equipment.

I fear the Uhers are an end-of-life product.

Cheers,

Richard