[ARSCLIST] Fwd: [ARSCLIST] humidification treatment for acetate tape (was Re: [ARSCLIST...

  I'll add that I was told something similar by Mitchell G. Heller, who has
worked in recording and engineering since the early 1950s and has a lot of
knowledge. He recommended getting one of the old plastic mailing cases that radio
stations used to use (Mitchell was an engineer at WFMT for years) -- the heavy
ones with screw-down latches on the four corners. Put the tape in the case
with small pieces of saturated cloth or paper towel in the corners (not touching
the tape), seal the case, and leave it. Check it occasionally to see what
progress has occurred. I've never tried it, but Mitchell said it works and it's
consistent with what's been recommended.

  The only problem with doing it that way now would be getting one of the
obsolete mailing cases! WFMT used to have piles of them, but radio stations use
CDs now. (I should check -- there might be one kicking around.) But any sealed
container should work as long as it doesn't also absorb the humidity very
much.

  Don Tait
This method worked on some of my own problem tapes. It was passed on to me by Bill Storm.

Stuff a couple of socks with a water absorbing cloth. Wet. Put socks, tape in a more or less airtight container. Be sure to remove the tape from its box! A closed dresser drawer will do. Let it sit a month or so.

This seems to be a sluggish version of Richard's method.

Steve Smolian
----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard L. Hess" <arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>