Re: [ARSCLIST] My response to--Re: [78-l] Viva vinyl

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

David Lennick wrote:

> Actually you missed my point..she DROPPED the stylus into the grooves of what
> was to be the source for all future pressings. Not set down gently, not
> lowered carefully. If gentle handling of a mother isn't a requirement for
> quality pressings, I'll withdraw my argument.

----- yes, I missed the point. However, probably what she did would not
damage the mother in any case! It is made of nickel, which is much, much
harder than copper (silvered or not), and the stylus (which presumably was
modern) would have bottomed out on impact. The plastic parts of the pickup
would not scratch the nickel, so it probably was quite safe. But the
throughput of the plant would have to have been enormous, if they could have
one person just testing mothers.

Kind regards,

George